As easy as it may be to ignore, looking after your feet is vital. Exposed footwear, prolonged standing, high heels or Ill-fitting shoes can cause great pain and damage. This article looks at the reasons why you may have unhappy feet and offers some top tips on how to take care of them so that that you can go back to having happy and beautiful feet.
It can be tempting to wear exposed footwear when the weather warms up, but they can cause several problems. Open-backed shoes can cause the heel to expand sideways. This, in turn, can increase the possibility of cracked heels.
Prolonged standing up
Standing for an extended period of time, especially if done on a hard floor, can cause friction and pressure on your feet. This could lead to fissures, cracks and open sores which can bleed and cause severe pain.
The rigid material of high heels can cause a painful knot in the back of the heel. The pressure caused by the high heel can also lead to blisters. High heels also force feet into an unnatural position and inflame the bones or the nerves that surround them. It is recommended to wear lower heeled shoes when possible; the lower your foot is, the more natural the position it will be in.
Shoes that are not well fitted can cause friction on the feet. The increased pressure can cause a whole number of problems, including corns, blisters, athlete’s foot, nail problems, and even problems not related to the foot, such as back pain.
Top tips to get beautiful feet again
- Regular exercise can do wonders not just for your general health, but for your feet as well. Exercising can improve blood circulation, thus making the skin less prone to dryness.
- The usage of exposed footwear should be minimised wherever possible to avoid problems such as cracked heels.
- If it’s necessary to stand for a prolonged period of time, make sure you wear appropriate footwear with cushioning.
- If you own ill-fitting shoes, it is important to change them as soon as possible for shoes that offer support and protection.
- It is important to remember that as you get older, feet measurements can change, so don’t rely on a foot size from a long time ago when shopping for shoes.
- Try and have your feet measured one or two times per year. Also, the time of day can affect how big your foot is (if you shop later in the day, you will be more likely to get shoes that fit you because swelling occurs as the day goes on). Another important thing to remember is to wear appropriate socks or hosiery. The thickness of a sock can affect how well a shoe fits greatly.
- For smoother, softer skin, try exfoliating using the Scholl Velvet Smooth Electronic Foot File to remove dead skin layers, leaving you with soft, beautiful feet in an instant.
- Relax and give your feet a good soaking in warm water after a long, hard day. This will not only leave you feeling refreshed; it will soften the hard skin and reduce the possibility of cracked heels.
- If you have cracked skin, use the Scholl Repair Cream K+ to boost natural renewal of softer skin in just 3
- A mini massage not only feels great but as with exercise, it improves blood circulation, which can help to prevent cracked feet and dry skin.
Equipped with all these tips, you’ll soon have the confidence in showing off your beautiful feet to the world – and your feet will be a lot happier too!